Tuesday, February 15, 2011

visual literacy for the blind/visual impaired

I got to thinking about visual literacy and was wondering what visual literacy is like to those that are visually impaired or blind. What popped into my mind while we were talking in class and the assigment to look at a picture book and describe the illustrations was the book, The Black Book of Colors by Menena Cottin and illustrated by Rosana Faria. If one has never seen the book, it is completely black with white text, and the braille translation of the text. The pictures are made using a sort of 3-D effect using a raised format. It is a beautiful book. And it got to me thinking how do we teach visual literacy to those that are visually impaired or blind? As a children's librarian for PreK-1st graders I have not once encountered a student who is blind or who is extremely visually impaired that they could not see the pictures. I have worked with students who have had hearing problems and the solution is to have them sit closer to me. But what about a student that can't see the pictures. In my classess we discuss the book using the pictures especially the front and back cover to talk about what the book may be about, or what will happen next using the pictures. About how would I teach this to a student who couldn't see the pictures. I also use paper folding stories. I did not look to see if there are any sites out there to help with such a problem. Are our expectations of visual literacy the same for those that can't see? What would be some teaching techniques that one could use in this situation. I know I use alot of voices when reading (including yelling!) but alot the times the emotions are drawn from the pictures. So has anyone ever been in this situation and what did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment