Friday, February 4, 2011

Technology in a 21st Century Library

When I started my job as a middle school librarian I had eight computers in the library that were connected to the internet and available for student access. For a population of 7o0 students that is not a great percentage. Students could barely use the computers for access to the library's online catalog, let alone come in to do research. I remember when the idea to transform the library took root. I was being introduced to a number of student teachers and one of the bright-eyed beginners asked me whether they could bring their classes into the library to do research. The supervising teacher interrupted me and said, "Oh, well I guess you could, but really I recommend using the computer lab for research." My jaw went slack. I was stunned into silence (and this is no easy feat). And this little gem of advice was coming from a language arts teacher in my building. I was deflated. Three years hustling, advertising and collaboration (obviously not with her) had been fruitless. I was forced to face the fact that limited online access combined with a collection that was outdating by the minute did not make the ideal research facility. The question was...what to do? How could I remake the library into a place that would realistically meet student's information needs? Obviously, I needed computers. Lots of them. But how? I was actually driving down I-74 when I was struck by an idea. Our building has two computer labs. My thought became, why not move one of the labs into the library? To my delight, the principal and the technology instructor were both supportive of the idea. I did, however, have two items on my list that were deal breakers.
1) The library must be expanded to include a new instructional area. I worked hard to create curriculum and build instructional time into library checkout. I was not about to sacrifice instruction to gain technology. (Happily, I already had a plan for this. One of the small rooms off the library was being used as a teacher work space. All we had to do is move the teacher's out and bring the library in.)
2) The library's new space was not a new computer lab. I wanted to emphasize that we were still the library, just with more access to information.

My desk became a cloud of paper. Proposals, floor plans, letters, grants, and pictures. Everything I needed move my vision from an idea to a reality.

And it worked. After planning, presentations, some begging we got what I wanted (with a little help from a handy technology instructor and the most supportive principal ever). The summer was a whirlwind of moving, building and re-imagining. All in time to start the year off with a new look.

And the results? It's been great. I use the same reservation system that the computer labs were already using. I created a reservation request sheet teachers using Google Docs. Teachers just hop online, fill it out and the requests comes to me https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmIKTMpbJ3WfdFFNQi1CQnRWUDhaWldIZDhlRm85b3c&hl=en# Then I plug the request into a calendar (also Google docs). https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tqZAD40-7BCNieN0Sccia-Q&hl=en
One glorious day in September we actually had five different classes running in the library simultaneously and we had a storyteller in the courtyard just off the library. It is the moment I really felt like we made it work.

Now, I have to be honest. This has not been without its problems. The computers are not brand new. This means they are slower than the two labs, which is frustrating for both teachers and students. I am still advocating, reminding and insisting that the library not be thought of or referred to as a computer lab. And did I mention the temperature? Our building does not have A/C. The library was already extremely warm, but now with the addition of both computers and bodies, there are times I feel like I'm in the furnace and not the library. (The great news is the district is actually discussing what kind of cooling system to install!)

What's next? I really want to continue to push the use of technology in the library and then into classrooms. The way I envision this happening is by educating myself on all of the ways technology can be used to educate students (that's why I'm excited about the timing of this class) and then bringing this expertise with me when I collaborate across the curriculum. It's definitely a very exciting time and I wouldn't want to be teaching anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment