Monday, February 14, 2011

Deconstructing Music and Meaning





This week’s readings by Jordan Stop. Hey. What’s Sound? & Jourdain’s article To Listening: Music, The Brain, and Ecstasy provided a lot of contextual background information related to music helping hone my critical thinking, analysis, and knowledge on different components of music relating to people’s emotions, thoughts and preferences. Additionally, Hurt’s video Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhyme was one of the most thought-provoking videos I have seen in a long time centering on black male masculinity and Hip Hop. Hurt specifically examines the topics of masculinity, sexism, violence, and homophobia in today’s Hip Hop culture. I also found myself engaging in dialogues with friends (outside this class) deconstructing its messages and meanings.

Although not required to watch, a great complement to the Hurt’s film is Blacking Up [see above still image]. Note that I only provided the introduction as a link, as the message is clear from the start. This film discusses the role that Hip Hop music has on some Caucasian teens/ artists as they enter Hip Hop industries and confronts stereotypes and their challenges by others.

I will elaborate on both videos in the second half of this blog, but before I do, let me add that Jordan’s article defined components of sound (but not limited to) its physical, emotional, and impact on people while situating it from a historical perspective while traversing generation to generation (p. 255). What was further insightful about this article was the exploration of digital media and how it has changed with technology (p.257). The article raised an interesting question related to, “where does science/technology [digital media] end and art begins.” This question was a central crux of this article’s discussion ending with the points that “sound” as “music” is going to change, given how it is produced.

Transitioning to Jourdain’s article, To Listening: Music, The Brain, and Ecstasy, the first part of the paper discussing various examples from around the world leading to the central point exploring how the brain poses itself to receive musical sound. Furthermore music has been designed to meet different approaches of people who listen. The paper ends noting, “People also are attached to genres of music that serves a particular function in their lives…” (p. 263). This leads to the two-abovementioned films and how both raised quite a bit of discussion for my friends and me.

I am only going to recap some salient points/ themes raised within the films, and my response seeks to answer the prompt provided to our class (how does music helps us think critically, as well as teens). Both films raised a range of questions centering on black male masculinity, identity formation of teens/ young adult, homophobia, stereotypes, classism, and the power of Hip Hop music to divide our society along racial lines. Hurt’s film in particular resonated with me because as a young black male, growing up, I listened to a lot of Hip Hop music and never really thought about the messages some artists were transmitting. I really only listened to the beat and how it made me feel.

As an adult, I now pay more attention to the messages in music mainly because of my interest in gender studies and the importance of serving as positive role model for my nephews and other black male mentees. I also look at Hip Hop music from a different lens now, although I do not totally take the stance that Hurt’s seems to make that it de-sensitizes all people to violence, but do agree that its promotes a one dimensional view of black males, while reinforcing stereotypical images while marginalizing other males of color (i.e., gay male, etc.) who do not fit into constructive norms. Also, this film provided insight into how other ethnic groups (teens) viewed Hip Hop music and raised questions about their awareness of some of its negative messages.

As I watched this film and subsequently held discussions with my friends, I was reminded of another film, Blacking Up, although not on the same subject matter, it still raised questions in my mind about what messages are being transmitted to teens, specifically how Caucasians artists/teens engage with Hip Hop. Unlike the Hurt’s film that was produced by an African American male, a white male produced this film, providing a different layer to the controversies and/or complexities surrounding music and its impact on teens/ young artists. To be honest, this was the first film I saw that raised this unique perspective coupled with the challenges these artists/teens encountered from the industry and their peers. Both films, although brief (1 hour), had a profound impact on me, but in different ways, helping me to understand meaning and impacts.

As I ponder what role music plays in our lives, with attention to teens in particular, I can’t help but to say/think that music is much more than just listening to beats, but resonates differently with the individual who is listening, creates it, and its importance and meaning vary. Music may have a political message or just serves to relax, and traverses many communities (ethnic groups), but also extends beyond what is obvious and can be much more complex, impactful, and profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment