Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wordless Books?

I am in a mixed married. I am a visual learner partnered with a kinesthetic learner. While this has at times produced some entertaining situations, I must say it has produced one awesome kid. She gets all kinds of great experiences; busting up concrete in the backyard with rock hammer and reading feminist graphic novels all in the same day. While her dad is her favorite let’s-figure-out-how-this-works buddy, when she wants to quietly immerse herself in books, I am her go-to girl. With a bachelor’s in acting (no joke), I have a pleasant reading voice and use it in a variety of ways to make the story interesting. At bedtime stories, I rock.

Which is why stories without print have always flummoxed me. While I find them very interesting and usually beautifully illustrated, what the heck am I supposed to do as the reader to a four year-old? In general, I have stayed away from choosing wordless books for our child. My partner, however, greatly enjoys them and usually picks out a few on their excursions to the library. Lately, I have been more comfortable choosing wordless books for us to read together and realize there is a lot for me to do as her reader-we read the pictures, discuss the story, ask questions and try to devise answers. I have been so focused on reading words to her, I begin to fear I may have neglected her other literacies.

A lovely list of some wordless books for all ages. I would highly recommend The Arrival by Shaun Tan. The story of an immigrant trying to find his way in a strange land while desperately missing his family, it could be a perfect companion book for a unit on immigration at any grade level. I grabbed it in my school library while I was waiting to meet with an insurance agent. I was immediately enthralled.

2 comments:

  1. I love wordless books! I have students who pick them out and I always tell them that they are awesome because they can make up their own story and even write it down. And they can change the story each time they read it. My Prek students even do this with words in them. I don't think the teachers really like it when I say that you don't have to be able to read words in order to read, but I think it is a great way to get their imagination flowing. Maybe you could write down a story with your daughter and then she can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry, what a lovely idea! She will love it. We just checked out The Chicken Thief by Beatrice Rodriguez. She read it last night with her dad and "read" to me today after school when I asked about it.

    ReplyDelete