Monday, May 2, 2011

My Top 10

So I was having a hard time figuring out what I wanted to say for my last post...that hadn't been already said, hinted at, or mentioned in someone else's commends over the course of the semester. Finally I decided to write down the 10 pieces of technology that I think are the most helpful in my job. This is inspired by a post I read by Joyce Valenzia in her blog NeverEndingSearch http://www.libraryjournal.com/slj/home/888448-312/fully_loaded_outfitting_a_teacher.html.csp

iPad

I love my iPad. In fact I loved my first one so much I had to purchase the second. In fact, of the ten items on this list, this is probably my favorite. It is slim, sleek and powerful. It is perfect for personal use, but also ideal for using as a teacher librarian. I can use my iPad as an ereader and catch up on all the latest YA literature. Or I can work at home using Desktop Connect, an app. that will connect the iPad to any computer. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/desktop-connect/id364907570?mt=8 And get this, you can even install an app. to turn your iPad into a virtual Smartboard http://ipadeducators.ning.com/profiles/blogs/can-your-ipad-replace-your?id=5840223%3ABlogPost%3A7601&page=

So seriously, there’s an app for that!


Smartboard

I was fortunate enough to get two SmartBoards for our library last year. The scope of what is possible using this device as an interactive teaching tool is pretty amazing. Now, for those of you that are on a tight budget (which is all of us), there are a couple options. The first I already mentioned above. Or, if you have about $500 to spend, you can get an Airliner Wireless Slate. http://smarttech.com/us/Solutions/Education+Solutions/Products+for+education/Complementary+hardware+products/SMART+Slate

These allow you to turn a simple projector & computer into an interactive board. Think of these as the poor librarians alternative to a $2,000 SmartBoard.

Mini Document Camera

So I’ve wanted a document camera for as long as I’ve been a librarian. I would fantasize about being able to share a picture book with my older students by shining the pages up on a screen instead of trying to make them sit in a semicircle by my feet. The only thing separating me from this fantasy was the enormous pricetag. And now there’s a solution. The IPEVO Point 2 View USB Document Camera for $70 should do the trick. And it folds down nicely to carry along in your laptop bag. It doesn’t get any better than this (unless the iPad has a USB port and I could use it with that, but that’s just another fantasy…for now).

http://www.ipevo.com/prods/Point-2-View-USB-Camera/IPEVO

VoiceThread

I heard about this free website far before I actually used it. And after finally using it for a class last semester I can’t believe I waited so long. The idea is that presentations can be uploaded, narrated and posted (either for private or public viewing) and then other people can add their own comments. Each account can have three VoiceThreads posted at one time for free. After that there is an upgrade charge. The site is easy to use. All you need is an image and some imagination. But honestly, the best way to see its potential is to check it out for yourself at
http://voicethread.com/about/features/

Pentax Optio W90

So, this was so cool I purchased it for myself, but it would be great for a library as well. In fact, this may be the last camera you need to purchase. It’s just that versatile. This point and shoot camera takes traditional, underwater (it’s waterproof), panoramic and digital microscope photos. I cannot imagine a situation in the library that wouldn’t be able to be documented with this camera. It is truly amazing. And yes, I might have purchased two (I did not want to have to share with my husband).

Wordle

I used this free website after I learned about it from Joyce Valenzia’s blog. I created some very cool Dewey signs for my collection. The site is free and you can adjust font and colors to match any need. Check it out http://www.wordle.net/

Flipboard

Okay, I already went on and on about how much I like my iPad. There is one problem. Apps. There are applications for just about everything and organizing them can be a bit overwhelming. Of course someone has a solution for this. Flipboard. This app. personalizes news and information tools into one place. The other great thing? The one thing that reading the newspaper on the iPad or computer is missing is turning a page. Not anymore. Flipboard mimics the page turning action and brings it to the iPad screen. http://flipboard.com/


Wix

I’m not a huge fan of the cookie cutter webpage. The templates are nice, often clean, but I get tired of viewing box after box of sameness. I was thrilled with the results I got when I used Wix a few years ago for a GSLIS class project and couldn’t wait to recreate my school library’s virtual website. http://www.wix.com/jmslibrary/jms-virtual-library
The free version has seemingly endless options and is very simple to use. Really. If I can do this anyone can.

GoogleReader

How can you keep up with all of the information available on the internet? I recommend trying GoogleReader. Starting a subscription is easy and it makes it a snap to keep up with new posts on interesting websites and blogs. Find a blog you’re interested in. Try EduBlog’s Best Librarian Blog list <http://edublogawards.com/2010awards/best-librarian-library-edublog-2010/>


Destiny

So this is me trying to be optimistic. Our district is upgrading our circulation system over the summer from InfoCenter to Destiny. In effort to not panic and worry about all of the things that could (and will) go wrong, I thought I would start singing its praises now. Maybe it will ward off any software glitches. Anyway, we are going to have a more attractive and age appropriate interface, a catalog that can be accessed by teachers and students from home and a virtual bookshelf for ebooks. And these are just the elements I’m most excited about. So, now that I’m singing the praises of Destiny I am really hoping it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment