Wednesday, April 6, 2011

VOYA: The Unbound Word

For the past year or so I've been struggling with how I will incorporate eReaders into our middle school library. Which one should I buy? How will I check them out? Will teacher/parents/students buy in? What happens in they get lost/stolen/broken? Questions, questions, questions. While I continue to research and puzzle over the possibilities I'm happy to have a found a new resource. VOYA started a new column in April called "The Unbound Word." The focus is, "...the implications of digital reading on teen development and on library services to young adults" (Braun). This month's column is about two apps, Kobo and Copia. These two apps both bring a level of interaction and socialization to reading that I wouldn't have imagined even 5 years ago. My favorite, Copia, allows people to add friends to their account. As you read a book, you can highlight, make notes, and ask questions about passages. When your friends read the same book--your notes are visible to them. They can respond, commend and ask questions back. I practically ran out of the library (okay, I didn't run out, but I did spring out of my seat) to find someone to talk about what this meant for learning in our school. How exciting would it be to have a small group of students reading together in such a new way? I can only imagine that my students would buy in immediately (and not only because of the novelty of the eReaders). The funniest part of the article is when Braun states, "Think beyond how it might seem creepy and frightening." I was laughing out loud since that's exactly how some people will react. But not everyone. In fact, a group of my teacher friends are going to pilot the app in our first book group. I can only guess that we will be as hooked as the kids. It may just change reading forever.

Braun, Linda W. "Reading That Is Global and Social." VOYA 34.1 (2011): 38-39. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment